Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:52:38 -0400
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: performances, events, etc.
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 02:39 PM, Rebecca S. Guenther wrote: > So are you really describing an event without regard to its > manifestation? Well, in thinking about this, I suppose that in the case of research interviews, one either records them or takes notes, in which case one could code that pretty easily. But I could imagine going to a public lecture and wanting to reference information presented there. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. > In which case, no, there seems to be no typeOfResource > value that's appropriate, but you could use a genre value "event" (not > from any controlled list). But in a world where we're not worrying about MODS or MARC, can an event be thought of as analogous to a typeOfResource (even if not exactly a "resource")? Using genre for an event doesn't seem the best way to handle this. In my lecture example above, I'd want to call the genre "lecture" or something similar, but somewhere and somehow else say that it was a performance. Bruce