Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:39:15 -0400
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: performances, events, etc.
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

I think I remember Karen Coyle once answering this, but now I'll try. From a bibliographic description point of view, there has to be some sort of manifestation of that event, since we don't usually describe things in terms of a happening in time. We would usually have a tape or a video of that one-on-one interview or performance, which is what we would describe. So MODS already covers those. In terms of describing as an event, we do have something called the MARC Community Information Format that can be used for this purpose. It hasn't been widely implemented and there is some overlap with bibliographic description in that we've used many of the same fields. Since MODS has been largely based on the MARC bibliographic format, we didn't carry over elements specific to community information. So are you really describing an event without regard to its manifestation? In which case, no, there seems to be no typeOfResource value that's appropriate, but you could use a genre value "event" (not from any controlled list). Rebecca On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > OK, I've periodically brought this issue up casually, but I'm wondering > if anyone has any concrete suggestions. I am working on an easy-to-use > schema that is based more-or-less on MODS. However, I still don't > understand how in MODS to distinguish between: > > - an interview broadcast on a radio, and a one-on-one private interview > - a play, and the performance of the play > - a speech text, and a speech performance > > Is there something missing in MODS to fully support this? Maybe an > "event" typeOfResource value? Something else? > > Bruce >