Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:36:08 -0700
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: location, location, location
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

At 09:38 AM 9/15/2003 -0400, you wrote: >See the mapping and it will be clear that 856$u maps to identifier: >http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-mapping.html#identier Well, that means that there is no electronic location data element in MODS -- If the URL in the 856 $u is the network location of the item, then it really should be in the location area of the record, IM(not so)HO. I don't believe that libraries have been in the practice of putting non-location URI's in the 856 $u -- as a matter of fact, the whole point of the 856 $u seems to be that you can click on it and go to the resource (or related resource -- another issue that we can take up separately, perhaps). And there's a big difference between something like http://www.craphound.com/down/download.php, which is the location of the item, and isbn: 0765304368, which is an identifier. I'm very uncomfortable with using URL's as identifiers, in general, although I know that the practice is wide-spread. But I don't think you should put "http://" in front of anything that isn't supposed to go out as a URL across the network. For identifiers, I would prefer to use something like the java convention -- a namespace that doesn't look like a clickable or resolvable locator. ---------------------------------------------- Karen Coyle [log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net ----------------------------------------------