Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:45:31 -0700
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Joe Altimus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: date encoding
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

I see the need to map date ranges too, so it would be useful if the MODS ISO8601 attribute accommodated that. Joe Altimus Arizona State University Libraries On Nov 13, 2007 1:24 PM, Riley, Jenn <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm doing some mappings from item-level EAD inventories into item-level > MODS records, and I've run into a problem with date encodings. My source EAD > conforms to the EAD2002 XML Schema, which means all @normal attributes on > dates are ISO8601. But the MODS date encoding attribute value of iso8601 is > described in the User Guidelines < > http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-userguide-generalapp.html> as > *only* the YYYYMMDD format, rather than any valid ISO8601 value, such as > 1999/2000 for a date range. I know MODS has other mechanisms for date > ranges, but I don't think that in this case implementing parsing of the EAD > @normal attribute on dates to look for slashes and convert those into > MODS-style ranges is getting enough benefit for the effort it would take. Is > it really the intention for the MODS date encoding attribute of the value > iso8601 to *only* refer to the YYYYMMDD pattern, and to no other valid > ISO8601 encoding? If I've got ISO8601 but I can't guarantee it's YYYYMMDD, > am I doomed to leaving the encoding attribute off the MODS date entirely? > > Thanks! > > Jenn > > ======================== > Jenn Riley > Metadata Librarian > Digital Library Program > Indiana University - Bloomington > Wells Library W501 > (812) 856-5759 > www.dlib.indiana.edu > > Inquiring Librarian blog: www.inquiringlibrarian.blogspot.com >

[text/html]