Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:18:16 -0700
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Roy Tennant <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MODS user guidelines
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

If I may, I'd like to politely disagree with my esteemed colleague and argue that "[sound recording]" and "[electronic resource]" are most assuredly not part of the title, and do not belong there in MODS. Frankly, I don't think such notations even belong there in the MARC/AACR2 environment, but that is a debate best argued elsewhere. Roy Tennant On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 08:57 AM, Karen Coyle wrote: > At 08:30 AM 4/29/2003 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > >> Why the following? >> >> <name type="conference"> >> <namePart>International Workshop on Plasma-Based Ion Implantation >> (1993: University of Wisconsin--Madison)</namePart> >> </name> >> >> I see this a lot with these example records, and I assume they're a >> holdover from MARC practices, but isn't the above title mixing in >> non-title data (date and place) that should go elsewhere? And >> shouldn't the MODS user guide reflect best practices, rather than >> repeat these errors? > > Actually, the date and place are often considered part of the name of > the > conference. Not always, but often. The date of publication of the > proceedings still goes into the date field -- that could be different > from > the date of the conference itself. And the place of publication still > goes > into the place of publication field. So when ACM publishes conference > proceedings, the publisher is ACM, the place of publication is New > York, > yet the conference may have taken place in Peoria a year earlier. The > title > on the conference proceedings will read something like: 5th conference > on > wombats, January, 2003, Peoria. > > >> Three other examples: >> >> <titleInfo> >> <title>Oklahoma [sound recording] ; Carousel ; South Pacific</title> >> </titleInfo> >> >> <name type="conference"> >> <namePart>Paris Peace Conference (1919-1920)</namePart> >> </name> >> >> <titleInfo> >> <title>Portals to the world</title> >> <partName>Selected Internet resources</partName> >> <partName>Andorra [electronic resource]</partName> >> </titleInfo> > > Odd though it seems, these are not incorrect. It really depends on what > title is on the item you are creating metadata for. With books and even > journal articles it's often relatively simple, but other documents > often > have titles that have parts and bits and pieces in them. This is why > the > library cataloging rules are 400+ pages long. > > It's also true that citations are less rigorous in defining titles than > library catalogs, mainly because we can't expect all authors to absorb > a > tome of rules. So I'm not surprised that library cataloging looks odd. > > [A teaser: when a book is written by a spirit speaking through a > medium, > who should be listed as the author of the book?] > > kc > > > ********* > Karen Coyle > California Digital Library > 510-987-0567 > ********* >