Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:51:16 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Dublin Core and MODS (was Re: [MODS] Reusing MODS elements)
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Friday, November 7, 2003, at 11:05 AM, Rebecca S. Guenther wrote: > In any case, we would need to do something because the DC-Library > Application Profile uses some MODS elements. At some point when that > is completed someone will write a schema for it and will need to use a > few MODS elements (location and edition). I'm a little confused about all the different efforts out there related to bibliographic metadata. We have MODS, of course. We also have the DC-Library profile, and the citation working group; both relating to DC. The latter seems to have some relation to the OpenURL stuff, which has written it's own -- very limited I might add -- schema. Is there any sort of coordination here? Shouldn't there be? With v3 of MODS, I think for once an XML schema has gotten the question of parts description right. I really think this solution ought to be promoted more widely. As it is, I see in these other approaches once again retreading a dead end road. Having elements like <journalTitle> just strikes me as a bad idea, as is having separate genre-specific schemas, because it means only a small number of genres will be adequately coded. Or is it the case that DC must be flat, and so there can be no way to have a title within an <IsPartOf> element? Bruce