Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:22:14 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      mets xlink and mods
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

METS folks -- over here in MODS land we're trying to get version 3.0 ready and we have an issue with xlink. The current mods version uses the mets xlink schema, and we want to continue to use it. But we've gotten pressure from our users to change the namespace id to the "standard" form, i.e."http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" rather than "http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink". As a temporary solution I copied the mets xlink schema to the mods directory and changed (in the mods version -- haven't touched the mets version) the namespace id to the standard form, and correspondingly changed the namespace id in mods. That's the only way it will validate, short of changing the mets xlink schema (which of course I don't have the authority to do), and if the mets xlink schema is so changed, the mets schema itself would have to be changed too or it would no longer validate. Whether or not METS wants to make the change, I don't know. But if you do(before version mods 3 is ready, which should be soon, a week or so), we'll change this all back and reference the mets xlink schema. --Ray