Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:27:40 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: OpenDocument, MODS and Remaining Issues
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce D'Arcus" <[log in to unmask]> > Rebecca S. Guenther wrote: > > > How about including both forms in your MODS record with a link between > > the 2 instances of <name> using the ID attribute. > > I'm not sure. How are you proposing that would work precisely? What, in > other words, is the coding that indicates they are the same person? This could get complicated. The semantics of having x name elements is x entities. It is not x variations on the name of single entity, or worse, y entities (y<x) with (x-y) variations (with flags, and links to the various z entities). Let's consider an alternative approach. If we want to support this capability, to provide alternative forms of a name, we should explicitly bundle all variations of a name for the same entity together, distinguished from names of other entities. There are probably a number of ways to do this; one that comes to mind (that would have little impact) is to add an element <alternativeForm> type nameType (recursive), within the definition, in the "choice" i.e. along with namePart, displayForm, etc. --Ray