Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:48:07 -0400
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ray Denenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MODS and Dublin Core (previously Re: Alternate proposal)
Comments: cc: [log in to unmask]

"Houghton,Andrew" wrote: > A better > approach might be to work with the existing DC community to the > benefit of both. Your argument here to justify MODS, seems odd > to me. .... > I feel that with a little more thought you could have a more > extensible metadata standard that would serve many more diverse > metadata communities. I'm genuinely perplexed by the MODS/DC discussion. I thought that Rebecca's explanation was rather compelling and I have little to add. I do think that the respective purposes of MODS and DC are so different that it's futile to try to align the two. The MODS philosophy explicitly avoids the one-fits-all approach of DC. In fact my guess is that not even the strongest DC proponents would suggest aligning the two. --Ray