Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:09:35 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Barbara B Tillett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: thoughts on names
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Just a reminder that affiliation information is temporal, so is not used in authorized forms of names, but is sometimes used in authority records for very useful background information. - Barbara >>> [log in to unmask] 03/29/02 03:55PM >>> At 09:13 AM 3/29/2002 -0500, you wrote: >2. Your point is well taken about delimiting dates. I guess you would want >to use a technique for anything that isn't really part of the name. If we >used <component> that may not be enough to distinguish what is the name >and what is the date or other element, since it would be used to >subdivide each portion (at least that's how it's used under corporate). Is >there a different tag we could use that would denote anything that >shouldn't be considered part of the name? I see us moving into an era of less authority control and more authors. There will be a need for information beyond the author's name -- as an example, see the use of "affiliation" in scientific bibliography, which has a multiplicity of purposes, but one of them is that it helps identify an author whose name is probably not distinct. We tend to use the date, but there are also titles. These are modifiers on the name, and therefore we could have a "date" element in the way that we have an "affiliation" element, although I have to admit that I don't understand how affiliation is intended to be applied in mods since it is defined outside of the personal name area but appears to restrict itself to 100 & 700 $u. kc ********************************************* Karen Coyle [log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net **********************************************