Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:05:43 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Barbara B Tillett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MODS and FRBR
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

I'd love to see more of a synergy between MODS and MADS, to use MADS for the work/expression level records/data elements (including classfication and subject headings). I think David is on the right track with the Iliad being a work record (authority record). Separate records (but linked) for the various expressions (translations, editions, performances, etc.) and again separate records (MODS this time) for the various manifestations (print in books and online, sound recordings on tapes and CDs, etc.) - Barbara Tillett >>> [log in to unmask] 03/22/05 6:20 PM >>> David, Sounds like an intersting project with good, clean metadata that we would all like to think we have. How far did you want to go with FRBR? Are you thinking of splitting out the work information and expression information into separate but linked records? Were you thinking of going all the way and putting subjects with the work record, for example? We are interested as we have been giving more thought to the fit between the FRBR and MARC/MODS data. In a paper last year on MODS for Library HiTech I did a gross breakdown by looking back at the MARC to FRBR mapping that Tom Delsey did. I came up with the following for the MODS high level: Work: titleInfo type=uniform; name; genre; targetAudience; classification; subject Expression: Type of resource; language; abstract; tableofContents Manifestation: titleInfo; originInfo; physicalDescription; note; identifier; relatedItem Item: location; accessCondition But, at this point I could even argue with myself over the categorization and obviously some elements can be in more than one, depending on the data. Sally At 11:58 AM 3/22/2005 -0500, you wrote: >Hello, > >I am a programmer with the Perseus Digital Library at Tufts University. We are >in the process of rebuilding our site's catalog based on MODS records. We are >particularly interested in FRBR because the nature of our materials is already >extremely hierarchical. In particular, we deal with multiple editions and >translations of works (like "The Iliad"), as well as commentaries, lexicons and >other secondary materials that relate to works. The collection is not very >large, and it is reasonably well organized: we already know which records are >expressions of which works, and we even have standard, authorized IDs for each >work (based on the Thesaurus Linguae Grecae and related projects). > >What I have not been able to find in the literature is how to represent the >relation between an expression and a work in MODS. Would there be a record for >the work "The Iliad" as well as records for a Greek edition and a particular >English translation? Would the record for an English translation have two ><identifier> elements, one for the expression's ID and one for the work's ID? Is >there a standard way of declaring which is which? Would a given work be more >like an authorized uniform title, with a MADS record? > >Thank you, and sorry if I have missed anything obvious! > >-David Mimno, Perseus Project > ******************************************************** Sally H. McCallum, Chief, Network Development and MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress Washington, DC 20540 USA [log in to unmask] (Fax: 1-202-707 0115) (Voice: 1-202-707 5119) ********************************************************