Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:56:23 +0000
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Mike Rylander <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MODS in Evergreen [was: [MODS] MODS search points]
Comments: To: Tod Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Comments: cc: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On 12/28/05, Tod Olson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:19 PM, Mike Rylander wrote: > > > We (PINES/OpenILS/Evergreen) are using MODS as an intermediate format > > for indexing our catalog. The records are stored in MARCXML, but we > > transform them to MODS for indexing and display (or, more properly, > > displayable data extraction) because MODS /greatly/ simplifies working > > with records when you're a programmer that's not also an experienced > > cataloger (however, our scheme has been vetted by our catalogers). > > I'd like to follow up on this off-list a bit. > Sure. mrylander AT gmail.com, or you can join our mailing lists at http://open-ils.org/listserv.html . :) > Does the Evergreen MARCXML to MODS transformation strip out the ISBD > punctuation, or leave it in? And what mechanism are you using for the > transformation? The XSLT provided by LC? > We are using the LC XSLT for MARCXML->MODS. We do attempt to strip the ISBD punctuation for display purposes, mainly for aesthetic reasons. The stripping is done in Perl by looking for punctuation that doesn't materially benefit the user (trailing "/"s and whatnot, mostly in titles) and simply removing it. It's just part of the MARC->MODS->metadata->normalize process we've built. The punctuation doesn't affect our indexing as we use PostgreSQL's tsearch2 extension for full text indexing, which ignores punctuation. > I ask because in my own use of MODS, I find losing the ISBD punctuation > to be difficult to achieve, but greatly improves reuse of the data in > different contexts. > Must ... refrain ... from ... commenting ... on ... ISBD ..... aaarrrggghhh! ;) > Tod Olson <[log in to unmask]> > Programmer/Analyst > University of Chicago Library > -- Mike Rylander [log in to unmask] GPLS -- PINES Development Database Developer http://open-ils.org