Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:02 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      subject facets
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

It has come to our attention that there is an application here at LC that would benefit from subcategories of subject, and I imagine this would have fairly broad application. A lot of subject thesauri call these "facets". In MARC we have a special field for faceted vocabularies (654) and there is a subfield that contains a code for the facet, which is defined by the particular vocabulary. Some examples of facets for the Art and Architecture thesauri are: styles, activities, materials. There are numerous other examples from some of our digital collections. In MODS 3.1 we added this sort of thing under genre and physicalDescription and called it "type". This was to accommodate different aspects of genres (e.g. class, work, style) and of physical forms (e.g. material, technique). These are similar subcategories as we are proposing for subject and perhaps these "type"s should be changed (in the next major release) to "facet" as well. We might want to add this attribute under both <subject> and <topic> (the subelement under subject). That would allow some flexibility if different topics within one subject string need to be subcategorized. We are just finishing up a draft schema for version 3.2 which we will announce shortly for review, and we thought we could add an attribute for this sort of information now. Would others have use for this? Rebecca