Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005)Back to main MODS pageJoin or leave MODSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:41:22 -0500
Sender:       Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: merits of a type library
Comments: To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>

On Jan 24, 2005, at 5:11 PM, Rebecca S. Guenther wrote: > (1) within your mods or mads instances, references to elements defined > in > the type library will have to include a namespace prefix. (Only > elements > though, not datatypes, and most of the type library will be datatypes, > not > elements). [snip] > (2) There is a concern that fragmentation of schemas will make them > more > difficult to read and comprehend. That is, if you're trying to read > the > mods schema and there are frequent references to another schema, you'll > have to have both schemas in front of you. (If we do adopt the type > library approach we will employ documentation techniques that minimize > this problem.) I may have said something different before, but when you put it this way, I guess I'd say that the two of these together make it not at all attractive. In this approach, you basically make the instance and processing associated with them more complicated in order to make development easier, all while using a schema language that inherently makes development more difficult. I think MODS/MADS instances should be in a single namespace, unless someone is embedding extra content in the extension element. That does introduce the mild awkwardness of mods:title/mads:title, but I think that's a better alternative than: <affiliation> <m.organization>xxx</m:organization> <m.email> www@z </m.email> </affiliation> Bruce