Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999)Back to main MARC pageJoin or leave MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:43:20 -0700
Sender:       USMARC <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Stephen Toney <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: archives catalog and MARC records
Comments: To: USMARC <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Ms Sullivan, My company has a product called MARCView/Import that can convert text records into pure MARC format. It can be customized to your needs, unlike MARCMaker, which requires you to use a specific format. For example, you can choose what characters to use for delimiting subfields, fields, and records. Since MARCView/Import is tailored to the client, we can offer other customization as well, such as record validation, checking for duplicates, etc. MARCView/Import has been used to convert millions of authority records for the J. Paul Getty Trust, as well as other uses. (The Getty develops the Art & Architecture Thesaurus, the Thesaurus of Geographic Names, and the Union List of Artist Names). Since we have this experience, we could also help plan your project. MARCView/Import is based on MARCView, a viewer for MARC records which has about a thousand users around the world. Additional information is available at http://www.systemsplanning.com/marc.html-ssi. Please let me know if I can provide any further information. Best regards, Stephen Toney Systems Planning toney@systemsplanning.com [log in to unmask] http://www.systemsplanning.com > Hello. > > The library and archives at the school I work for will be adding archival and special collection materials to the library's Winnebago Spectrum catalog . I am responsible for creating the new archives records. > > I am hoping to find someone who has information about creating and adding records to an existing electronic catalog that runs in Win 95. There are no existing shelf cards for the materials I am cataloging and 95% of them would have not have a USMARC record. > > I have Microsoft Office 97 and the LOC text to MARC conversion utility MARCMaker. I am on my own during the summer creating a local database of records on my PC. I will proceed to work with other staff to add the records to the library catalog during the fall. > > On a small budget, is it the simplest plan to format the information in a word processor, convert the files, and load them into the library's catalog database? I would like advice about the most efficient way to proceed. > > Sincerely, > Mary Sullivan