Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999)Back to main MARC pageJoin or leave MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:15:17 -0400
Sender:       USMARC <[log in to unmask]>
From:         sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      archives catalog and MARC records
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Hello. The library and archives at the school I work for will be adding archival and special collection materials to the library's Winnebago Spectrum catalog . I am responsible for creating the new archives records. I am hoping to find someone who has information about creating and adding records to an existing electronic catalog that runs in Win 95. There are no existing shelf cards for the materials I am cataloging and 95% of them would have not have a USMARC record. I have Microsoft Office 97 and the LOC text to MARC conversion utility MARCMaker. I am on my own during the summer creating a local database of records on my PC. I will proceed to work with other staff to add the records to the library catalog during the fall. On a small budget, is it the simplest plan to format the information in a word processor, convert the files, and load them into the library's catalog database? I would like advice about the most efficient way to proceed. Sincerely, Mary Sullivan