Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999)Back to main MARC pageJoin or leave MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:44:56 +0200
Sender:       USMARC <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Bernhard Eversberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: linking records

Jeanette Lake writes: > > I have only recently become aware of tag 787 and I've never seen an example > of it in use, but since we use the other linking tags (760-785) extensively, > I'm wondering whether this would be better than any of the above, if only > because it has a subfield for the record number of the related work ... That is right. We have worked out a report, last year, showing how this can be used to link records of multi-volume works. http://www.biblio.tu-bs.de/allegro/formate/reusep.htm We have also set up an example database of music records where the contained works of a collection are in separate records which are linked to the main record for the collection. You can access it from http://www.biblio.tu-bs.de/cgi-bin/acwww25u/mm/maske.pl?db=mm This database is in MARC, it does not use 787 but 001 in a similar way. The 001 contains the control number of the record referred to, plus a postfixed letter, to allow for proper arrangement of linked records when displayed as a whole sequence. Record linking by control number (instead of textual links, which are not links in the true sense) has been in use in Germany for a long time, and for multipart publications in particular. Not much for the linking of reviews or different editions, but the technique work the same way. B.E. Bernhard Eversberg Universitaetsbibliothek, Postf. 3329, D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany Tel. +49 531 391-5026 , -5011 , FAX -5836 e-mail [log in to unmask]