Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999)Back to main MARC pageJoin or leave MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:41:53 -0400
Sender:       USMARC <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ana Esterbrook <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      hyphen with open dates
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Aug. 25, 1999 Hello, Please help our Archives/Description Section with the following question regarding the addition of a space after a hyphen that follows an open date in a personal name heading; also, whether it's O.K. to add a comma after the hyphen, if a relator term, such as "\e comp.," follows the open date. 1. We use VTLS and must add a space before and after every subfield code. But, in order to better explain to the staff the examples found in Cataloger's Desktop, we'd like to know if the space has been added to the examples only when a subject subdivision follows the open date and hyphen: Examples from Cataloger's Desktop: 600 10 Capote, Truman,\d1924- \xCriticism and interpretation. 600 10 Ford, Gerald,\d1913- \xAssassination attempt, 1975 (September 5) Public display screen: Capote, Truman, 1924- -- Criticism and interpretation. But, these examples leave out the space after the hyphen: 100 1 Fitzgerald-Jones, Sandra,\d1938-\einterviewer. 700 1 Harrison, Tinsley Randolph,\d1900-\tPrinciples of internal medicine.\s9th ed. 700 1 E. Sheila\q(Escovedo),\d1959-\tDawn, the beguinning\hSound recording. 700 1 Kissinger, Henry,\d1923-\5DLC Public display screen: Fitzgerald-Jones, Sandra, 1938- interviewer. 2. And, this question is really the main reason for my writing to you. Some staff members believe we should add a comma after the open date and hyphen, if a relator term follows the hyphen. I could not find a single example in Cataloger's Desktop that would allow us to add the comma, as in these examples: Our examples: 100 1 Fitzgerald-Jones, Sandra,\d1938-,\einterviewer. 100 1 Smith, Jane,\d1955-,\ecomp.. One example in Cataloger's Desktop does add a comma when the hyphen is followed by "\k," but it contains the subheading "\k in fiction drama, poetry, etc.," which was discontinued in 1993, so I don't think we can use it to justify our adding the comma before a "\e" relator term: Cataloger's Desktop: 600 10 Borges, Jorge Luis,\d1899- ,\kin fiction, drama, poetry, etc. Thanks, Ana Esterbrook Automation Archivist Sr. The Library of Virginia Richmond, Va.