Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002)Back to main MARC pageJoin or leave MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 1 May 2002 08:34:13 -0500
Sender:       MARC <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Gary L. Strawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Filing subfields to title fields
Comments: To: MARC <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

At 06:41 PM 4/30/02 -0700, Karen Coyle wrote: >There are systems that solve this problem by padding all numbers to some >set length (i.e. 8) in the indexing and sorting keys in the system. I don't >believe that it's terribly difficult to do so I don't understand why a MARC >solution is being sought. Can anyone enlighten me? Are systems vendors >saying it isn't possible? The outcome of the discussion at MARBI is that a MARC solution was in fact not desirable, and that a systems solution should be investigated instead. The matter was returned to PCC for development of an algorithm that could be presented to system vendors. What system vendors are 'saying' at present may perhaps best be gauged by the behavior of their products ... Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc. Northwestern University, 1935 Sheridan Rd., Evanston IL 60208 e-mail: [log in to unmask] voice: 847/491-2788 fax: 847/491-8306 Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.