Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002)Back to main MARC pageJoin or leave MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2002 17:24:12 -0400
Sender:       MARC <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Sally H. McCallum" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      MARC character set
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Erroneous information was posted to the MARC list by Jim Agenbroad today. Mr. Agenbroad misinterpreted comments made at an internal meeting and sent a message without checking with our office. I want to clarify the information. At this time the MARC format specifies a repertoire of characters encoded in what is called MARC (including over 16,000 characters covering Latin, extended Latin, Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Chinese Japanese, and Korean). It indicates two encodings for the repertoire in 8-bit/24- bit and an alternative encoding in Unicode (UTF-8 form). Those are the current official repertoire and encodings that support exchange of information from and to many countries and environments. The repertoire and encoding are specified (or pointed to) on the MARC 21 web site (www.loc.gov/marc) in the MARC 21 specifications document (www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/). It is well known that Unicode includes many additional characters that duplicate and augment the MARC repertoire, and I have mentioned at recent MARC meetings that in the future, as we move into the Unicode environment, we will need to work out how we handle a full Unicode repertoire without unduly complicating interchange. NDMSO is having a study carried out that examines the different conflicts and possible problems and recommends approaches to dealing with them. This study will be made available for discussion and comment as we move forward. If anyone forwarded Mr. Agenbroad's message to others, please also forward this clarification. ******************************************************** Sally H. McCallum, Chief, Network Development and MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress Washington, DC 20540 USA [log in to unmask] (Fax: 1-202-707 0115) (Voice: 1-202-707 5119) ********************************************************