Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main MARC pageJoin or leave MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:04:35 -0800
Sender:       MARC <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Proposal for MARC21 field 258
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

"Pat Riva" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >I'd like to point out that the association of AACR area 3 data with >the 251-258 block in MARC 21 isn't very good. So what happens when we run out of numbers in 25X for area 3 information for specific media? All the information there is medium specific, which is what the original nonbook ISBD (I was on the working group) had in mind when we initially created it. It was the second ISBD; ISBD(G) did not yet exist. Values in 008 change with LDR/06; so could the subfields of a single 25X field after 250. None of the present 25X's now use indicators; so they don't differ. Up to eighty-one specific media could be indicated by the use of the two indicators, but LDR/06 is probably a simpler way to go, perhaps in conjuction with 008/33, in that the medium would only have to be coded once. On the other hand, it might be easier to base print constants on 25X indicators. Just as 260-261 were combined, so should be 254-258, and to include any future medium specific information. __ __ J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([log in to unmask]) {__ | / Special Libraries Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/ ___} |__ \__________________________________________________________