- Political Convention Summaries
- Read brief summaries of past Democratic and Republican National Conventions. Includes bibliography. Please note: To view documents in PDF format, you will need
the freely available Adobe
- About the Main Reading Room
- The Library's principal reference and
book service point for the general collections.
- Main Reading Room Reference Collection
- About the 70,000-volume general reference collection
on the Main Reading Room's open shelves.
- Computer Catalog Center
- The Library's principal service point for
searching the online catalog, subscription
databases, CD-ROMs, and the Internet.
- Bibliographies and Guides
- Full text published guides for the Library's general
- Alcove 9 --
Reference Web sites
- A selective list of other Internet resources in the humanities
and social sciences.
Main Reading Room, Thomas Jefferson Building, Library of Congress.
Learn more about this and other historic
areas of the Library
of Congress by visiting the Thomas
Jefferson Building Virtual Tour
101 Independence Ave. SE
Thomas Jefferson Bldg, LJ 100
Washington, D.C. 20540-4660
Telephone: (202) 707-3399
Map showing location
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday:
8:30am - 9:30pm
Tuesday, Friday, Saturday:
8:30am - 5:00pm
Closed Sunday & Federal Holidays
Ask a Librarian
Information for Researchers
Find out about research orientations, reader registration,
online and card catalogs, how to request
materials and other Library policies.
to ask the reference staff a question about the general
This historic room is, through its catalogs, the
primary entrance into the Library's research collections, and the principal
reading room for work in the humanities and social sciences.
Every day, hundreds of books and bound periodical volumes are delivered
from the stacks for use in the Main Reading Room. Even researchers who
will go on to work in one of the specialized reading rooms often begin
their work in the Main Reading Room in order to use the electronic resources
in the Computer Catalog Center, to consult the Main Card Catalog, to
obtain an orientation to the Library as a whole, or to use some of the
approximately 70,000 volumes in the Main Reading Room reference collection.