Department of Health and Human Services logo  skip banner navigation
 Site Index  
 Contact Us  
   Home   |   Services   |   Working with ACF   |   Policy/Planning   |   About ACF   |   ACF News  Search  
Administration for Children and Families US Department of Health and Human Services
ACF Questions and Answers Support
Questions and Answers Support Home
Ask a Question
 My Questions and Answers 
  hide accessible links  
 Select a Category See a list of all Categories and Sub-Categories
  Search Tips? 

    Powered by RightNow Technologies
  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Child Care
    Becoming/Being a Child Care Provider
  Grants and Funding
    Child Care Grants
  Date Created  
03/09/2001 12:00 PM
  Last Updated  
01/10/2008 04:47 PM

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I file a complaint against a provider?
  How do I file a complaint against a provider?
  Contact your State licensing agency to find out if a child care program is licensed, or to file a complaint if you think a program is not following regulations.

To find or obtain a full-text copy of your State’s child care licensing regulations, visit the National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education on the Web at

If you suspect that abuse or neglect is taking place in a child care setting, you can do the following:
• Call the Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 800-422-4453, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The hotline gives information about where to file and how to make a report.
• Contact your State child protective services (CPS) agency. Contact information for all State CPS agencies is available on Child Welfare Information Gateway’s Web site at
• Contact your State child care licensing agency if you think your child care provider is not following State regulations. Contact information for all State licensing agencies is available on the National Child Care Information and Technical Assistance Center’s, a service of the Child Care Bureau, Web site at
• Call Child Welfare Information Gateway at 800-394-3366. Or visit the Web at for information in English, and at for information in Spanish. This site has resources about prevention, identification, and treatment of child abuse and neglect and other child welfare issues.
Extremely Helpful Very Helpful Somewhat Helpful Slightly Helpful Not Helpful   
  Related Answers
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results