Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main SUBCOOR pageJoin or leave SUBCOORReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:42:59 -0400
Sender:       Subject Coordinates Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: The proposal passed MARBI!
Comments: To: Subject Coordinates Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

If we're going to use GPS for authority records, what level of accuracy will be acceptable? Will there be a standardized method of collection? Typical handheld "walmart" receivers greatly vary in their measurements. Elevations in particular can be quite poor. So, who will be generating the authority records and the subsequent coordinates and elevations? Surveyors? GNIS? NGA? Catalogers? Who will be testing the accuracy of the coordinates used? Joe Joe Aufmuth GIS coordinator George A. Smathers Libraries Government Documents University of Florida P.O. Box 117001 Gainesville, Florida 32611-7001 352-273-0367 Fax: 352-392-3357 mapper@uflib.ufl.edu <mailto:mapper@uflib.ufl.edu> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> -----Original Message----- From: Subject Coordinates Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Dean C Rogers Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 11:20 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [SUBCOOR] The proposal passed MARBI! Yes, great. And since GPS includes elevation, so will the authority records, right? (I hope). Dean Rogers Map Cataloger Library U.S. Geological Survey Reston, Va. "Houghton,Andrew" <[log in to unmask]> Sent by: Subject Coordinates Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> 06/30/2006 07:49 AM Please respond to Subject Coordinates Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> To [log in to unmask] cc Subject Re: The proposal passed MARBI! > From: Subject Coordinates Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Colleen R. Cahill > Sent: 30 June, 2006 07:15 > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: [SUBCOOR] The proposal passed MARBI! > > We now face some choices, primarly in what format we want the > coordinates to appear in authority records. This can be > either degrees, minutes, seconds or decimal degrees: both > have advantages and disadvantages. Here are a few I have > thought of and am hoping for your input: > > Degrees, minutes, seconds format > Pro: > -Format most often printed on maps > -Familiar to most people > -Easy to quality review > -Format most often used in bib records > > Con: > -Not format used by GIS search engines > > Decimal Degrees > Pro: > -Format used by GIS search engines > -Can harvest data from GIS tools > > Con: > -Not as easy to quality review > -Not as familiar a format to the average person Handheld GPS devices can output either format and output from the GPS device may be used to create local authority records. In addition, the conversion between decimal degrees and DMS is trivial. If the catalog uses decimal degrees, it can be easily converted to DMS for user friendly displays. This point negates Con(2) under Decimal Degrees. I'm not throwing my two cents either way, just providing a few additional thoughts. So long as the data is in its own subfield and it doesn't need to be parsed out of other textual data, then either format can be used effectively. Andy.