Skip Navigation
Department of Health and Human Services 		  
		  Administration for Children and Families
ACF Home   |   Services   |   Working with ACF   |   Policy/Planning   |   About ACF   |   ACF News   |   HHS Home

  Questions?  |  Privacy  |  Site Index  |  Contact Us  |  Download Reader™Download Reader  |  Print Print      

The Child Care Bureau   Advanced

Parent Holding Infant's Hand.
Main Menuskip to primary page content


Resources for Child Care Providers


What Providers Should Know About Child Care Assistance for Families

Federal and State governments can help families pay for child care. The families you serve may be eligible for this assistance, and you may receive this funding for services you provide. Click here to read more about becoming a “participating provider”.

Lo que deben saber los proveedores sobre el programa de ayuda de cuidado infantil para las familias
El gobierno federal y el gobierno estatal pueden ayudar a las familias a pagar el cuidado de sus niños. Es possible que las familias a las cuales usted ofrece servicios reunan los requisitos para recibir esta ayuda, y usted pueda recibir esta ayuda financiera por los servicios que proporciona. Haga clic aquí para leer más sobre como convertirse en un “proveedor participante”.

Back to top

Funding to help start or improve a child care program

Your State lead child care agency responsible for subsidizing child care programs can tell you if funds are available to help you start a new child care program or expand your existing one, and how to apply. To locate the lead agency in your State, visit the web site

There are many local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) agencies that provide information about child care in local communities and about financial assistance and funding opportunities. CCR&Rs can also help you learn more about provider support organizations, training, marketing, business practices and more. You can find out about local CCR&Rs by contacting Child Care Aware (CCA), toll free at: 1-800-424-2246 or on the web at

The National Child Care Information Center (NCCIC), funded by the Child Care Bureau, has information about national, State, and local sources of financial assistance. Visit for details. The NCCIC also offers information on how to run child care program, as well as on public and private partnerships, tax supports and other issues related to child care services. You can contact the NCCIC toll free at 1-800-616-2242 or at

Back to top

How can my church, synagogue, or mosque become a child care provider as part of the federal voucher/subsidy system?

The first step is to read our informational brochure - What Congregations Need to Know About Federal Funding for Child Care (also available in PDF format).   This brochure explains the federal voucher system, offers tips on how to become a participating provider, and shares information about helpful resources available to you.  The next step is to contact the Child Care and Development Fund agency in your State.  Agency contact information is located at

Back to top

Receive funding to serve children from low-income families

Your State lead child care agency responsible for subsidizing child care programs can help you through the process of serving low-income families who use child care vouchers. To locate the lead child care agency, visit the web site

Faith-based organizations that provide child care services, including those that engage in religious activities, are allowed to receive child care vouchers. A child care voucher is not considered a grant or contract to a provider but assistance to the parent.

Back to top

Receive funding to serve nutritious meals in your child care program

Your State's office of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) can help subsidize meals and snacks for eligible children enrolled in child care programs. To learn more, visit the following web site:

Back to top

Collaborating with your local Head Start program

Head Start provides child care services, often in collaboration with child care centers and in-home child care. For information on collaborating with your local Head Start program, contact the National Child Care Information Center at 1-800-616-2242.

Back to top

Licensing regulations for starting and operating a child care center or home

Most States have minimum licensing requirements for child care providers. These requirements typically vary for different types of providers. Contact your State's licensing agency to find out about the requirements in your State. To locate the licensing agency in your State, go to the National Child Care Information Center's web site at: Additional information is also available at the National Resource Center on Health and Safety in Child Care at:

Back to top

Finding other child care resources

For more child care-related information, visit the National Child Care Information Center's web site at

Back to top