Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005)Back to main SUBCOOR pageJoin or leave SUBCOORReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:57:51 -0400
Sender:       Subject Coordinates Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Jimmie Lundgren <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Question on form of coordinates
Comments: To: Subject Coordinates Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>,

Colleen is probably composing a more complete response, but here is a short version of what I understand we are hoping to accomplish. 1. Determine a way of expressing coordinates that will work well both in terms of interoperability with geospatial databases and usability by catalog librarians. 2. Propose a new field in MARC bibliographic records (standard coding system for catalog records) for all formats of materials (not just cartographic) to allow subject searching via geographic coordinates. This is very different from the currently-used 034 and 255 fields which are only used for cartographic materials and record the coverage of the particular cartographic item being described. 3. Develop a standard list/database of geographic coordinates associated with places, hopefully through compilation from other reliable sources. This will enable catalogers to copy and paste correct coordinates from the list into the new field on the bibliographic record. 4. Propose a new field in MARC authority records for places for inclusion of the geographic coordinates formatted for searching and interoperability also. (I have drafted a discussion paper on this topic during the past year with some of my colleagues here and with input from MAGERT, and hope to expand, strengthen and submit sometime soon. One of my difficulties in developing this discussion paper has been choosing the best way of expressing coordinates that will be both searchable and easy for librarians to record, so I am eagerly reading messages from each of you that help to shed light on this aspect. Please send more.) I am very excited about this because I believe it will ultimately lead to greatly improved access to all kinds of information about places for researchers. I am so grateful to Colleen for initiating this project, and to each of you for your contributions! Thanks, Jimmie Lundgren Cataloging & Metadata Dept. George A. Smathers Libraries University of Florida Gainesville, FL 32611 352-392-0351