Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006)Back to main UNICODE-MARC pageJoin or leave UNICODE-MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 2006 22:15:30 EDT
Sender:       UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         James Agenbroad <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Character Repertoire Expansion TIme?
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Friday, September 8, 2006 In New Orleans MARBI approved a proposal to provide for losless, i.e. reversible, conversion from Unicode UTF-8 encoded MARC records to the MARC 21 character encoding when codes without a MARC 21 equivalent are encountered. MARBI had previously appproved a conversion that was not not reversible. It would seem that the time has now come to expand the character repertoire with UTF-8 encodings of the Unicode characters without MARC 21 equivalents. It is clear to me that some creators of MARC software already allow such characters within their local systems. For example, OCLC has to some extent implemented Thai and Tamil scripts. Character repertoire expansion would promote the exchange of records with such characters--this exchange of catalog records is why we have MARC. It may be that livbe tested of the approved conversions mentioned above cannot begin until the repertoire has been expanded. It is unclear to me whether updating of the MARC character set documentation by NDMSO would suffice to enact this expansion or would a MARBI proposal be needed first? If the latter, this would seem a good time to begin its preparation. If I can be of assistance let me know. Regards, Jim Agenbroad ( [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) )

[text/html]