Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006)Back to main UNICODE-MARC pageJoin or leave UNICODE-MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:20:43 EDT
Sender:       UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         James Agenbroad <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Character Repertoire Expansion TIme? (2)
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 Dear Gary, Thank you for your quick, thoughtful and thought-provoking response. I think at least at LC Endeavor's implementation of Unicode has (or had) a filter to prevent distribution of either fields or records with characters without a MARC-8 equivalent--I'm not sure which. I'm glad that some vendors have implemented more of Unicode. I have to wonder what recipients of records with non-MARC-8 characters do, assuming such records are sometimes distributed? Am I right in thinking OCLC does not distribute records with Thai and Tamil characters? Perhaps, as you suggest, I will ask Sally if she thinks a MARBI proposal is needed. Regards, Jim Agenbroad ( [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) )

[text/html]