Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006)Back to main UNICODE-MARC pageJoin or leave UNICODE-MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:04:49 +1000
Sender:       UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Andrew Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Character Repertoire Expansion TIme? (2)
Comments: To: UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Lets make this as simple as possible. Assume I'm creating a MARC record for a Russian title. the title will be romanized. I'm using a cataloguing client that is Unicode based. The title has the character sequence <U+0074, U+0361,U+0073> as part of the title. Many library systems have character palettes to allow entry of diacritics. A clumsy approach to character input in environments where a cataloguer may have to frequently enter such characters. I'd prefer a keyboard layout to directly type. A layout customised to the language or group of languages I'm working with. But that requires that the client application accepts direct Unicode input. Secondly I'd want the character sequence to render correctly. That requires being able to select a font that will correctly render the combining diacritic either a Graphite font or an OpenType font with appropriate GPOS or GSUB tables for the Latin script to handle the placement of the diacritics relative to the base character. Additionally the client application needs to use an appropriate font rendering technology. On the windows platform the client application needs to be built with uniscribe support, and you;d need to use the application on a version of windows with the correct version of Uniscribe (Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista). Alternatively the vendor could license an appropriate version of Uniscribe form Microsoft and ship it with the application in the application directory. Alternatively, the Vendor could build in Graphite rendering support into the application. That's just looking a font display, and ignoring all the other aspects of application internationalization. For example, you'd also need to address cursor control. is the sequence <U+0074, U+0361,U+0073> treated as a single unit or three separate units for cursor control within the application. Will the application be designed to enable selection and edition of the diacritic independently of the other terms or as a single unit. Andrew -- Andrew Cunningham [log in to unmask] Vicnet State Library of Victoria Australia