Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main UNICODE-MARC pageJoin or leave UNICODE-MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:19:55 -0700
Sender:       UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ed Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MARC-specific exclusions: Paragraph mark
Comments: To: UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

I want to respond to only one small item in Karen Coyle's message about MARC-specific exclusions: 'Think of all of the ways that cataloging, and the MARC records that carry the cataloging, vary from what "normal text" would look like. We don't put paragraphs into MARC records (i.e. no CR).' Although it is true that we don't put paragraphs into MARC records, lengthy summary notes (MARC 21 field 520) and Biographical and Historical Data notes (MARC 21 field 545) regularly appear in records for archival collections. In many cases, such notes are so long that readability and comprehension would benefit from user-supplied paragraphing, as opposed to system-supplied paragraphing in formatted displays. In addition, retaining paragraph marks could facilitate cutting-and-pasting from textual sources. In some cases, using subfield u to contain a URI to link to external information might be seen as a substitute for long notes, but that is probably more common for published materials where one might link to publishers' descriptions, etc. Ed Glazier Principal Analyst RLG 2029 Stierlin Court Suite 100 Mountain View, CA 94043-4684 [log in to unmask] (650) 691-2261; fax (650) 964-0943