Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005)Back to main UNICODE-MARC pageJoin or leave UNICODE-MARCReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:27:54 -0500
Sender:       UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Stephen Toney <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MARC-8 to Unicode XML Mapping File
Comments: To: UNICODE-MARC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Terry, Would you be willing to share your unusual files? We develop two products, MARCView(tm) and MARConvert(tm) that are used in 44 countries around the world. We are always seeking ways to make these products more robust, and being able to handle the files you describe would be an asset. If so, what would be the file size? Many thanks for your consideration. Best regards, Stephen Stephen Toney President and CTO Systems Planning [log in to unmask] http://www.systemsplanning.com Terry wrote: > Unfortunately I doubt you could just remove them at this point. I > have occasionally run into MARC files from "toy" ILS systems that > support either just the G0 set for all character encodings or just > the G1 set for all encodings. I'll admit that its not often, but > enough that I keep an archive of sample files sent to me over the past two years for reference. > > --Terry > > ******************************************* > Terry Reese > Cataloger for Networked Resources > Digital Production Unit Head > Oregon State University Libraries > Corvallis, OR 97331 > tel: 541-737-6384 > email: [log in to unmask] > http: http://oregonstate.edu/~reeset > ******************************************* > ________________________________ > From: UNICODE-MARC Discussion List on behalf of Edward Summers > Sent: Wed 12/14/2005 12:00 AM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: [UNICODE-M] MARC-8 to Unicode XML Mapping File > On Dec 12, 2005, at 7:58 PM, Joan Aliprand wrote: >> The best thing to do would be to annotate each mapping table to >> instruct >> users to ignore the inappropriate G0 or G1 values. > Or, as Gary suggested they could be removed from the HTML mapping > tables altogether. I imagine if you do that you can probably easily > auto-generate the HTML pages from the XML mapping file using XSLT. > //Ed Stephen Toney Systems Planning [log in to unmask] http://www.systemsplanning.com