Authority Headings Search Overview
To search Library of Congress authority records most effectively,
it is important to understand the differences between each available
search type. Brief instructions on general searching procedures
are on this page, but more extensive help screens are available
for each individual search type:
- Enter the leftmost words of the heading you are looking for
in the Search Text: box
- Select a Search Type: from the window, reflecting the type
of search you wish to perform.
- Select the number of results per page
- Select the Begin Search button to perform the search.
Your results will be presented as a Headings
List--a list of headings that fall nearest alphabetically to
the first words of your search. To retrieve authority information
for a heading, select the red button beside the heading, then select
the link for the heading or the references of interest to view the
MARC encoded authority record (an alternative, labelled display
- Use the "Headings List" button to return to your list
- Use the "New Search" button to enter a new Authorities
Use the browser's [Back] button to exit help
and resume searching.
>>Top of Page