Federal Programs, Technical Assistance, and FundingFederal Programs, Technical Assistance, and Funding

Overview of Grants.Gov and Other Key Federal Web Sites

How Coalitions Can Find and Apply for Federal Grants

You can find and apply for federal government grants at www.grants.gov. Grants.gov contains information about more than 1,000 grant programs offered by all federal grant-making agencies, including the federal agencies that support the Community Guide to Helping America’s Youth. Grants.gov allows organizations to electronically find and apply for federal grants.

Using the search feature, you can search for funding opportunities by agency (“Health and Human Services,” “Justice,” “Labor”), keyword (“youth,” “alcohol,” “gang,” “positive youth development”), or funding category (“community development,” “education”).

By signing up for the Grant E-mail Alert, you can register to have notifications of new grant postings delivered to your e-mail inbox—all new grant opportunities or notifications based on specific criteria such as eligibility, funding instrument type, agency, or subagency.

Registering with Grants.gov is a one-time process. However, if you are a first-time registrant, it may take up to several weeks to have your registration confirmed and to receive your user password. You should start the registration process as early as possible to prevent delays in submitting application packages to agencies before their specified deadlines. You must complete three steps before you are able to register: (1) register with Central Contractor Registry (CCR), (2) register yourself as an authorized organization representative (AOR), and (3) be authorized as an AOR in your organization. For more information, go to www.grants.gov/. Note: Your CCR registration must be renewed once a year. Failure to renew your CCR registration will prohibit submission of a grant application through Grants.gov.

How Individuals Can Apply for Services

If you are in need of personal financial assistance such as social security/supplemental security income, Medicaid, or state social services, you can find help at www.GovBenefits.gov. GovBenefits.gov is the official benefits Web site of the U.S. government, with information on more than 1,000 benefit and assistance programs. Complete a short questionnaire to find out about all of the programs for which you might be eligible, including food stamps, child care subsidies, health insurance, scholarships, lending programs, and more.

If you are interested in student loans, you can go to www.studentaid.ed.gov. Student Aid on the Web is the U.S. Department of Education's site for free information on preparing for and funding education beyond high school.