U.S. Copyright Office
Library of Congress
Home About News Publications Forms Law Licensing Registration Search Records
Which Form Should I Use?

What Form Do I Fill Out to Register My Copyright?

Online registration through the electronic Copyright Office (eCO) is the preferred way to register basic claims. The next best option for registering basic claims is the new fill-in Form CO. Using 2-D barcode scanning technology, the Office can process these forms much faster and more efficiently than paper forms completed manually. Complete Form CO on your personal computer, print it out, and mail it along with a check or money order and your deposit. Do not save your filled-out Form CO and reuse it for another registration. The 2-D barcode it contains is unique for each work that you register.

name=whichform>Paper versions of Form TX (literary works); Form VA (visual arts works); Form PA (performing arts works, including motion pictures); Form SR (sound recordings); and Form SE (single serials) are still available but not on the Copyright Office website. However, staff will send them to you by postal mail upon request. Remember that online registration through eCO and fill-in Form CO can be used for these types of applications.

How do I copyright my business name? Which form do I use?

Names, titles, short phrases, and slogans are not copyrightable. You may have protection under the federal trademark laws. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for more information.

How do I register an automated database?

See Circular 65, Copyright Registration for Automated Databases, for information on registering a database.

How do I register a computer software application I am creating?

See Circular 61, Copyright Registration for Computer Programs for information on registering a computer software application.

I have several copyrights on file with the Copyright Office, and have moved since submitting those applications. Is there a form to submit to change the address on my applications?

Although there is no statutory requirement to notify the Copyright Office of a change of address, you may wish to have our records reflect such information. There are several ways to do this: 1) You may file a document listing all your registered works by title and registration number, along with your new address. Your current address will then be included in our records and be available to those who search the documents file. However, the original registration records are not changed. See Circular 12, Recordation of Transfers and Other Documents, for more information. 2) You may file a supplementary registration Form CA to amend a completed registration to indicate the new address. If you have multiple registrations, filing a Form CA only on the most recent registration will effectively get your new address on record. See Circular 8, Supplementary Copyright Registration, for more information. 3) Finally, filing a registration for a new work in the future will also effectively get your new address on record.
For more information on fees, please refer to Circular 4.

Note: The Copyright Office offers introductory answers to frequently asked questions about copyright, registration, and services of the Office. Links throughout the answers will guide you to further information on our website or from other sources. For any other questions, please visit our Contact Us page.