[Acoustics] Using a Streampro with GPS

Rainville,Francois [CIS-WSB] Francois.Rainville at ec.gc.ca
Thu May 8 08:58:09 CDT 2008

We tried a compass that provides Heading (basically two antennas in a
single enclosure) and our very first results showed that under the
conditions where we typically measure (i.e. near bridges, shore edges,
tree canopies), the GPS acquisition conditions are less than adequate to
provide the data required for reliable results.  These were however
preliminary tests of such a GPS, but we did lots of GPS/ADCP testing and
chances are not too good for it.  We are not planning any more trials of
such system but please let us know if anyone has good news as this woudl
be a good way to get rid of magnetic interferences creating errors in
mmts via the flux gate compass...

F.
Francois Rainville
Water Survey of Canada / Services hydrologiques du Canada
Ottawa 613-992-1673