[Acoustics] bottom mounted velocity question

Henry J Zajd Jr. hzajd at usgs.gov
Thu Nov 14 10:31:56 CST 2002

Greetings all
                          The questions I have about bottom mounts are
dealing with securing the meter and cable (I will have direct
communications, SDI12, to a data logger in a gag house) to the bottom in
varying velocities in the stream? What experiences worked  and which ones
did not work.  I have seen some general setups for the meter and have seen
the commercial ones, so I have some ideas, but no experience. I have been
using side looking velocity meters and securing them is relatively straight
forward and close to the shoreline. The sites that I am looking at have
discharges ranging from 300 to 15,000 cfs. and I may have 100 to 150 ft. of
cable in the stream.  I am not sure what the actual velocities would be at
the higher discharges, hence the questions about securing to the bottom. We
have some ideas, but I wanted to here from people with actual experiences -
good and/or bad.

                        A little history - the need for the bottom mount
versus a side looking velocity meter is due to bidirectional flow, reverse
flows and a few other flow  situations that I have been told about, but
have not seen as of yet. The study area is located in an active canal
system, outflowing from a lake. that all of this is controlled by others
with dams up and downstream of the area.

                     Again thanks in advance for any information that you
will offer.

                                    Hank Zajd
   Henry J. Zajd, Jr. (Hank)        Tel: (607)266-0217 ext. 3023
   U.S. Geological Survey           Cell phone (607) 227-3897
   30 Brown Road              Email: hzajd at usgs.gov
   Ithaca, NY  14850-1573           Fax: (607)266-0521
                              Web: http://ny.usgs.gov/