[Acoustics] Tethered Boat/Catamaran

Paul S Tippett ptippett at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 20 07:20:47 CST 2002

FYI

(See attached file: Bank-Operated Cableways-Dec91.pdf)

Paul S, Tippett
U.S. Geological Survey,WRD,HIF
Building 2101,Stennis Space Center, MS 39529
Email: ptippett at usgs.gov Ph 228 688 1565 Fax 228 688 1577

|         |           John M Shelton   |
|         |           11/04/2002 07:23 |
  |       To:      "James D Fallon" <jfallon at usgs.gov>                                                                           |
  |       cc:      adcp <acoustics at simon.er.usgs.gov>, acoustics-admin at simon.er.usgs.gov, Greg Olsen <gwolsen at usgs.gov>, "itas   |
  |       whq" <itas_whq at usgs.gov>                                                                                               |
  |       Subject: Re: [Acoustics] Tethered Boat/Catamaran(Document link: Paul S Tippett)                                        |

Greg:

The December 1991 issue of HIF Instrument News has plans for a
bank-operated cableway that would allow the ADCP to be raised/lowered.  It
is a very simple design and could easily be incorporated with existing
cableways.  HIF should be able to supply copies of this article
(electronically?), if not, I can fax you a copy.

John M. Shelton
Hydrologist
U.S. Geological Survey
224 West Central Parkway, Suite 1006
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
P 407-865-6725 x151
F 407-865-6733

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           "James D Fallon"      |
|         |           <jfallon at usgs.gov>    |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           acoustics-admin at simon.|
|         |           er.usgs.gov           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           11/01/2002 03:51 PM   |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |       To:       Greg Olsen <gwolsen at usgs.gov>                                                                                |
  |       cc:       adcp <acoustics at simon.er.usgs.gov>, acoustics-admin at simon.er.usgs.gov, "itas whq" <itas_whq at usgs.gov>        |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Acoustics] Tethered Boat/Catamaran                                                                      |

Greg,

As a Central Region ITAS (Instrumentation Technical Advisory Subcommittee
that serves ICOM) representative, I'm aware of a few related developments.

The HIF has developed a prototype remote-controlled device that travels
across on existing cableways and can lower a cable (for sounding weight and
current meter, QW sampler, or ADCP) to the water.  At our August meeting,
ITAS recommended funding be allotted to allow HIF to pursue development.
Unfortunately, ICOM did not have sufficient funds to do so, so the project
is probably on hold.  Please give feedback to your regional ITAS
representatives (see
http://1stop.usgs.gov/icom/general/icomitas_members.cfm?memflag=2) if you
feel strongly about the need for this project.  You can contact Jim
Jelinski (228-688-1547) at the HIF for details about the device.

On the grass roots front, Greg Stewart in the Maine District designed and
installed an inexpensive bank-operated cableway that he uses for ADCP
tethered boats.  He submitted a project proposal to ITAS for funding to add
motor drive for more control of transect velocities.  We were impressed by
his ingenuity but had concerns about safety and liability and fact that the
ADCP cannot be pulled up out of water if debris flows are present.

Finally, ITAS is aware that Water Survey of Canada has a design, but I am
not sure of the status of it.  I know that HIF personnel have discussed
their design with WSC.  I'll do some checking and follow up.  If anyone
else has information to share with ITAS, we'd love to hear it.

James

James Fallon
Chief, Hydrologic Networks and Data, Minnesota
U.S. Geological Survey
2280 Woodale Drive
Mounds View, MN 55112
Phone: (763) 783-3255        Fax: (763) 783-3103
Minnesota District:               http://mn.water.usgs.gov
Water resources data:       http://mn.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Greg Olsen            |
|         |           <gwolsen at usgs.gov>    |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           acoustics-admin at simon.|
|         |           er.usgs.gov           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           11/01/2002 01:18 PM   |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       adcp <acoustics at simon.er.usgs.gov>
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [Acoustics] Tethered Boat/Catamaran

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Greetings,

   We have some cableways here in the Northwest
that are no longer safe for use with manned cable
cars, but would be fine to use with some type of
system for tethering a catamaran/ADP system for
doing discharge measurements.  My question is: has
anyone out there developed a system that allows
one to move an acoustic device mounted on a
catamaran type platform across a stream, as in a
clothesline type apparatus, or maybe utilizing an
electric garage door opener or some other type of
motorized device? I have heard rumors that our
Canadian counterparts may be using something of
this nature.  ANY info would be greatly
appreciated!

--
Greg Olsen