[Acoustics] Tethered Boat/Catamaran

Thomas R. Payne trpa at northcoast.com
Fri Nov 1 13:19:36 CST 2002

Greg,

We just used an Ocean Science trimaran/RDI Rio Grand Workhorse ADCP
system on a 200-300 foot wide, high gradient river with great success.
The components were a Kevlar line, small pulley, trimaran bridle, and
pull/feed tapes/ropes attached to the trimaran.  We used a 60 pound
compound bow and a fishing line arrow to cross the river and pull back
the line for attachment.  Feed rates were 1/2 foot per second, plus a
customized ADCP initialization sequence to handle standing waves and
entrained air at 1500 cfs, using a crew of three.  The rope and bridle
allowed instream obstructions (rocks) to be avoided by steering the
trimaran upstream/downstream.  The trimaran was fitted with dual
modems to transmit data back to a shore laptop.

Pricey system but highly effective and well worth it.  We were doing
10-12 fish habitat transects (pools, runs, riffles, pocket water) a
day with difficult, spread-out access.  Get back if you want more
specifics.

Tom Payne
Thomas R. Payne & Associates
Fisheries Consultants