[NIFL-FOBASICS:1453] Re: GED passage doesn't prepare students

From: Woods (woods@ncia.net)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 09:19:58 EDT

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:19:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Woods" <woods@ncia.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1453] Re: GED passage doesn't prepare students

Andres Muro wrote:
>We need to prepare students better for CCs. At the same
> time we need to work with CCs that serve large numbers of students
> coming from literacy and GED programs.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but if you count the number of
incoming freshmen at most any college and count them again in the sophomore
year, a huge number drop out whether they are GED recipients or high school
graduates. It's probably just as dangerous to generalize about colleges as
it is to generalize about students, but the most professors I have known
would bend over backwards to help a student if the professor perceived
motivation in the student. It's good that some colleges have open admissions
and accept students with GEDs or diplomas. After acceptance, whether you
sink or swim, that is up to the student. I think we could probably do a
better job portraying the rigors of college to our GED students so they will
have a more realistic understanding of what it will take to succeed, and
with that, be better able to make informed decisions about what they want to
do.

Tom Woods
Community High School of Vermont