[NIFL-FOBASICS:1450] Re: Questions to Correlate with the GED

From: Silja Kallenbach (silja_kallenbach@worlded.org)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 11:59:42 EDT

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:59:42 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Silja Kallenbach" <silja_kallenbach@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1450] Re: Questions to Correlate with the GED

The profiles and some of the promising practices from the 25 programs
that are part of the New England ABE-to-College Transition Project can
be found at www.collegetransition.org.  We are documenting more
promising practices on an ongoing basis. The transitions components in
these 25 progams are privately funded, making it more difficult for
others to replicate wholesale, but some of their practices can be
incorporated into ASE programs. The issue is that there are no
designated public funding streams for ABE-to-College Transitions in most
states or at the federal level. Until  there's a change in policies and
concomtant funding, it's difficult for our field to move forward in this
area.
Silja

Silja Kallenbach, Coordinator
New England Literacy Resource Center
World Education
44 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA 02201
tel. 617-482-9485
fax. 617-482-0617
email. silja_kallenbach@worlded.org
www.nelrc.org

Get free resources about ABE/ESOL-to-college transitions at
www.collegetransition.org
Teach critical thinking  with The Change Agent, a social justice
publication for the adult education community, available at
www.nelrc.org/changeagent

>>> AndresM@epcc.edu 08/12 11:32 AM >>>
We do this. In fact we developed a program called succes through
transitional english program (STEP) many years ago. It is available
from
ERIC.

Andres

>>> khinson@future-gate.com 8/12/2005 7:03:07 AM >>>
How many adult education programs have classes related to teaching
students study skills and note taking skills and/ or have some kind of
class that prepares students in some way for the changes that he/she
will face when they enter post secondary education?

If these classes / skills were incorporated into programs, might it
not
help students to be better prepared for post secondary education?

What other skills might be necessary to help Adult Education students
be better enabled for success when they leave our programs?

What services might need to be provided to our students to better
enable them to consider post secondary education as a viable option?

Are there changes that need to be made in Adult Education programs
themselves, in terms of how classes are set up and what teachers
should
expect of their students, in order to be prepare them for the next
step?

These were just some questions that came to mind as I've been
reading/participating in the disucssion.

Regards
Katrina Hinson

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are
pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are
different colors...but they all have to learn to live in
the same box.