[NIFL-FOBASICS:1447] Questions to Correlate with the GED Conversation

From: Katrina Hinson (khinson@future-gate.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 09:03:17 EDT

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:03:17 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Katrina Hinson" <khinson@future-gate.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1447] Questions to Correlate with the GED Conversation

How many adult education programs have classes related to teaching students study skills and note taking skills and/ or have some kind of class that prepares students in some way for the changes that he/she will face when they enter post secondary education?

If these classes / skills were incorporated into programs, might it not help students to be better prepared for post secondary education?

What other skills might be necessary to help Adult Education students be better enabled for success when they leave our programs?

What services might need to be provided to our students to better enable them to consider post secondary education as a viable option?

Are there changes that need to be made in Adult Education programs themselves, in terms of how classes are set up and what teachers should expect of their students, in order to be prepare them for the next step?

These were just some questions that came to mind as I've been reading/participating in the disucssion.

Regards
Katrina Hinson

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are
pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are
different colors...but they all have to learn to live in
the same box.