[NIFL-FOBASICS:1443] GED passage doesn't prepare students for college

From: Michele Anne Craig (shellcraig@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 18:22:48 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:22:48 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Michele Anne Craig" <shellcraig@ix.netcom.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1443] GED passage doesn't prepare students for college

Because of their eagerness to receive their GED,  many of my students pass
the GED with just a 450 average. I would say that this isn't a likely
indicator of success in other learning endeavors. If you correlate this
barely passing score with say CASAs scores for the same students in math
and reading, they are reading and doing math at a 6th grade
level.Similarly, what passes in a GED essay would not pass in English 1A.
Is this college preparation? These students would not receive decent scores
on SATs or ACTs neccesary to enroll in  a four year college. Even at a two
year college they will probably score into the lowest remedial courses. The
GED test is not college preparation in my opinion.

I would say that if the researchers checked the passage scores of GED
students who went on to college, the more successful students would be
those who scored at 600 or higher. I would like to see some kind of study
that would look merely at whether a student passed the test, but at how
they passed it.

Michele Craig
Woodland Adult School