[NIFL-FOBASICS:1398] RE: Memorial Day Remembrance

From: Libby Wilson (lwilson@eriecareerlink.org)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 10:28:21 EDT

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:28:21 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Libby Wilson" <lwilson@eriecareerlink.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1398] RE: Memorial Day Remembrance

Thank you so much for sending this.
Libby Wilson

-----Original Message-----
From: nifl-fobasics@nifl.gov [mailto:nifl-fobasics@nifl.gov] On Behalf
Of Barbara Garner
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 1:43 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1397] Memorial Day Remembrance

[Fyi, Originally posted to the AAACE-NLA, see below]

Memorial Day 2005

Remembering the Literacy Teachers Who Taught For the Union During the
Civil War

Tom Sticht
International Consultant in Adult Education

"Outside of the Fort were many skulls lying about; I have often moved
them one side out of the path. The comrades and I would have wondered a
bit as to which side of the war the men fought on, some said they were
the skulls of our boys; some said they were the enemies; but as there
was no definite way to know, it was never decided which could lay claim
to them. They were a gruesome sight, those fleshless heads and grinning
jaws, but by this time I had become used to worse things and did not
feel as I would have earlier in my camp life. --Susie King Taylor, 1902
(in Lerner, 1972)

Suzie (Baker) King Taylor was born a slave in Savannah, Georgia in 1848.
She was raised by her grandmother who sent her and one of her brothers
to the home of a free women to learn to read and write, even though it
was against the law for slaves to learn to read and write. As she
explained in her 1902 book, "We went every day with our books wrapped in
paper to prevent the police or white persons from seeing them." (Taylor
in Lerner, 1972)

During the Civil War the Union Army initiated the practice of enlisting
freed African-Americans. But it was soon apparent that there were
problems in using these men as soldiers. Among other problems, it was
difficult for officers to communicate with illiterate former slaves. So
promotion and advancement in the army was difficult for the
African-American soldiers. Many of them blamed this situation on their
lack of education. In response to these needs, many officers initiated
programs of education for the former slaves.

One officer, Colonel Thomas W. Higginson of the 33rd U. S. Colored
Troops, appointed the chaplain as the regimental teacher. Higginson
reportedly saw men at night gathered around a campfire, "spelling slow
monosyllables out of a primer, a feat which always commands all ears, "
and he observed that,

"Their love of the spelling book is perfectly inexhaustible, -they
stumbling on by themselves, or the blind leading the blind, with the
same pathetic patience which they carry into everything. The chaplain is
getting up a schoolhouse, where he will soon teach them as regularly as
he can. But the alphabet must always be a very incidental business in a
camp."
(Cornish, 1952).

One of the people whom the chaplain engaged in teaching soldiers of the
33rd to read and write was Suzie King Taylor (Blassingame, 1965). She
went with the regiment to Florida where she reported that "I learned to
handle a musket very well while in the regiment and could shoot straight
and often hit the target.
I assisted in cleaning the guns and used to fire them off, to see if the
cartridges were dry, before cleaning and re-loading , each day. I
thought this was great fun." (Taylor in Lerner, 1972, p. 101).

According to Taylor, "I taught a great many of the comrades in Company E
to read and write when they were off duty, nearly all were anxious to
learn. My husband taught some also when it was convenient for him. I was
very happy to know my efforts were successful in camp also very grateful
for the appreciation of my services. I gave my services willingly for
four years and three months without receiving a dollar." (Taylor in
Lerner, 1972)

Throughout the Civil War, thousands of teachers, some modestly paid and
many volunteers, worked often under very arduous conditions, such as
described above by Suzie King Taylor, to educate the newly freed slaves
who came to fight for the preservation of the United States of America.
In just the Union Army's Department of the Gulf (Louisiana, Mississippi,
Alabama,Texas) by 1864 there were 95 schools with 9,571 children and
2,000 adults being taught by 162 teachers. By the war's end it was
estimated some 20,000 African-American troops had been taught to read
"intelligently" (Blassingame, 1965).

No one knows how many adult literacy teachers gave their lives in the
course of their service to the education of those soldiers, both blacks
and whites, fighting for the preservation of the Union, during the Civil
War. But this Memorial Day we should remember their service to those
they taught to read and write, many of whom we can be certain did give
their lives for our Nation in the war that took more lives than all the
wars from the Revolutionary War through the Vietnam War combined.

In all these wars, the literacy teachers were also there. Perhaps,
contrary to what the progressive Colonel Higginson thought, the alphabet
should not be considered just " an incidental business in a camp." It
may, instead, be central to victory in wars. It may just be true that
"the pen is mightier than the sword."

On May 30th let us remember the thousands of literacy teachers who have
taught hundreds of thousands of troops, the fallen and those who
survived their wars, how to wield the mightiest sword of victory - the
alphabet!