[NIFL-FOBASICS:1340] RE: Fear of Finishing

From: Barbara Garner (b.garner4@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 08:20:42 EST

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:20:42 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <b.garner4@verizon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1340] RE: Fear of Finishing

Actually, the GED provides economic value to many GED holders. It's less
valuable to those who were doing well academically in high school than to
those who left high school with limited academic skills. It's also the
gateway, quite often, to higher education. For information on this that you
can share with your students, see "Beyond the GED:  Making Conscious Choices
about the GED and Your Future" at http://ncsall.gse.harvard.edu/teach.html

I suspect reluctance to succeed has to do with the cultural shift becoming a
person "with an education" demands. Learners have to take on a new persona
among their family and friends. I think the need to make this cultural shift
is a major barrier to completing a GED. In a program I worked with for four
years in the early 1990s, we found that women's partners often actively
worked to prevent the women from succeeding (via violence
sometimes)...Succeeding could mean the beginning of independence. We
counseled students from the beginning of the program about this and provided
them with resources, but this doesn't mean we were always successful in
heading off clashes.

Have others experienced this?
Barb Garner
Editor, Focus on Basics.