[NIFL-FOBASICS:1312] Learn about the NAAL

From: Barbara Garner (b.garner4@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 12:38:03 EST

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:38:03 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <b.garner4@verizon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1312] Learn about the NAAL

Marie Cora, moderator of the Assessment list, will be moderating a
discussion about the NAAL next week. It should be informative..Barb Garner

To subscribe to this Guest Discussion, go to:
http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/assessment/
and click on On-Line Discussion, either in the left toolbar or within the
text, and follow the directions for subscribing.

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to announce that next week, we have the pleasure of hosting Mr.
Mark Kutner, from the American Institutes of Research, Director of the
National Assessments of Adult Literacy.  Please read on for more details.

March 7 - 11

Topic:  Exploring the National Assessments of Adult Literacy (NAAL)

Guest:  Mark Kutner, Program Director, Workforce Research and Analysis, and
Director of the NAAL, American Institutes of Research

Mr. Kutner is interested in engaging with your questions and discussion on
areas including:

*	General Questions about the assessment and what literacy skills
it measures
*	Analysis and reporting plans and schedule
*	Types of data and information that will be available
*	Enhancements of the 2003 NAAL and improvements from the 1992
NALS

Recommended preparations for this discussion:
The web address for the NAAL homepage is:
http://nces.ed.gov/naal/

The homepage has some good informational sections - I suggest you click on
Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of the left toolbar.  This section
(FAQs) has areas of interest including how the assessment was developed, and
state data and comparisons.

Looking forward to seeing you all next week!

Thanks,
marie cora
Moderator, NIFL Assessment Discussion List, and Coordinator/Developer LINCS
Assessment Special Collection at
http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/assessment/

Barbara Garner
Editor, Focus on Basics