[NIFL-FOBASICS:14] Re: Project-based instruction

From: Susan Gaer (sgaer@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 11:05:15 EST

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:05:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Susan  Gaer <sgaer@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:14] Re: Project-based instruction

<Susan Gaer, you instituted project-based instruction at Santa Ana
College, which you described as having a structured curriculum and set
standards. Could you tell us more about how you "sold" the idea to
administration, and how you made sure that your students would meet
the set standards?>

I did not have to sell the idea to the administration, I had to write a
course outline that explained itself. The course outline includes
curriculum, textbooks and evaluation strategies. I completed this. The next
step was to get the college to approve and they did. I guess I wrote a good
course outline.

The mini projects that I use with my beginning ESL classes incorporate the
textbook as the basis for the language and the projects are outcomes.
Students learn about the family and then they write a story about the
family. Each mini project is developed along with each curricular strand.
Students are encouraged to do all the projects but generally only do the
ones that interest them. They take a pretest and post test to measure
improvement. My students most always show large gains in proficency. The
teacher who has my class in the following semester says that my students
are much more verbal and articulate than most of the other students who
come from other classes.

--

---------
Susan Gaer