[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2784] RE: challenges in addition to low literacy

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 14:11:47 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:11:47 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2784] RE: challenges in addition to low literacy

Interesting! We haven't really served people who have severe vision problems
or severe learning disabilities. We do have parents who turn out to have
vision problems, and struggle to find resources to get them glasses. That's
quite enough of a challenge, actually! But it often shows up when they begin
using computers, and also it can show up when they are trying to read the
blackboard. When they have to come up to the front of the room and stand
next to the blackboard in order to write down what they see then, it's a red
flag to have them get their vision checked. Occasionally they find problems
when they go to get a driver's permit. These kinds of vision problems are
fairly common, and we have to work with at least 3-4 students every year.

As for learning disabilities, we've had some of those over the years, not
formally diagnosed, but I can see them. We don't have really good ways to
deal with those either, but we try to be patient and provide a lot of
different ways for them to access learning. What they really need, usually,
is one-on-one tutoring, and maybe a different environment, and we can't
really provide a lot of that.

As for very low literacy, yes, we are finding more very low literacy people
every year. This year we have someone who never went to school, and a couple
more who didn't complete first grade.

We've had a few people with some physical disabilities, and of course we do
our best to accommodate them. We are in rented space (a church), which is
somewhat accessible, but are limited in what we can do ourselves to change
the space. We would work with the church if needed if it came up. As for
deaf people, we have no facilities for them at all (i.e., interpreters).
There are some deaf parents in Head Start, and they struggle because the
Mom's literacy level is very low in English, and also her sign language is
not ASL but learned in another country. Multiple layers of translation/
interpretation.

Most of our students are female. It seems like a big issue for many of them
is having an older / more powerful (read, richer, has a job, has citizenship
or at least legal status) male that they are married to or tied to in some
way. That creates all sorts of difficulties in terms of their ability even
to think of themselves as a real person, who has the right to make goals and
take steps to achieve them. On the other hand, women in general are very
strong -- and they have the ability to establish relationships with others
and find networks to get needs met. Many of them have low expectations,
which can sometimes be a plus in terms of surviving horrendous situations.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA