[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2728] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 18:42:58 EDT

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:42:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2728] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

Hmmm ... this reminds me a little of when my partner was diagnosed with
cancer. It became a fact of life, something that we were just living with.
But talking with others about it was always dicey -- some of them would get
these huge eyes, wide with horror, while others started talking nervously
about others they knew who had cancer, or the latest miracle cure they had
just read about, or how important it was to have a good attitude -- a lot of
reactions that had nothing to do with our reality but with their own fears,
generally.

And you're right, the result was generally distance rather than closeness.
It's so important to stay open to others' experiences and realities, to be
willing to face our own fears and get past them.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Manager Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA