[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2717] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

From: Daphne Greenberg (ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 09:28:09 EDT

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:28:09 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2717] RE: Adult literacy and domestic violence,

Thanks Jane for this great resource! Has anyone on this listserv read this book?
Daphne

>>> jhugo@proliteracy.org 09/29/03 05:43PM >>>
Daphne and all who have been involved with this discussion,

Daphne's question and an earlier reply in which the person wrote:
<<An appropriate question could be how can one use literacy
classes to build a healthy, healing community? Bertie Mo, Ph.D., MPH>>

brings to my mind the work of World Education around the impact of violence
and trauma on women's learning. During a 3-year period, Elizabeth Morrish,
then a staff member with the Literacy Divison at World Education in Boston,
worked with Jenny Horsman, a Canadian researcher and educator; and Judy
Hofer, currently doing staff development work in New Mexico; and other adult
educators to train participants in six differenct adult literacy
organizations in the north east to create understanding and address the
issues of violence and trauma. The work of this project is summarized for
practitioners in a source book entitled, Take on the Challenge: A Source
Book from the Women, Violence, and Adult Education Project. It was published
in 2002 and is available for about $16.00 from World Education.

The source book contains practical suggestions teachers can use with
colleagues and students in classrooms as well as good background material
drawn from Jenny Horsman's research in this area (see her book Too Scared to
Learn: Women, Violence and Education [2000]published by Lawrence Erlbaum.).

I've been to a couple of workshops the project people put on and one of the
things that struck me about the project was its emphasis on "creating the
conditions for learning" for women whose experience of trauma may make
learning, goal setting, and follow-through a particular challenge. I think
the book would help teachers understand how to acknowledge the issue in ways
that are not so overwhelming for teachers, students, or programs.

I'm not currently a classroom teacher, but in my work with Laubach Literacy
and now ProLiteracy, I have seen how the issue of violence and trauma
affects literacy program participants in lots of different ways. Many ABE
administrators, teachers, and literacy volunteers are rightfully cautious
about tackling issues of violence and trauma, but, by the same token they
realize that the impact of violence on women's and men's participation. The
book Take the Challenge provides some good guidance.

Jane Hugo

Jane M. Hugo
Director of Special Projects
ProLiteracy America