[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2713] Re: research vs. best practices

From: Daphne Greenberg (alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 09:09:15 EDT

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2713] Re: research vs. best practices

Thanks. I guess that I am struggling with the question of how to bridge research and practice. A research project by nature can't address all issues. However, when we are dealing with classrooms, ALL issues become important, whether they are part of the research or not. This gets compounded by the fact that we all have different focuses of interest: My major interest is in answering the questions that I was funded to answer. However, I also have a very strong interest in my staff and in my learners. Juggling the two is not always easy nor possible. The teachers have a very strong interest in their learners and a secondary interest in providing data for the research project. The learners have a very strong interest in improving their reading skills and have volunteered to be part of a research project in order to get their needs met.
Daphne
Daphne Greenberg
Associate Director
Center for the Study of Adult Literacy
MSC 6A0360
Georgia State University
33 Gilmer Street SE Unit 6
Atlanta, GA 30303-3086
phone: 404-651-0127
fax:404-651-4901
dgreenberg@gsu.edu
>>> AWilder106@aol.com 09/29/03 08:39 AM >>>
Dear Daphne,

Nothing you have said is "lame."  ALL of the list comments on your original questions are very close to the answers you have come up with already in how to deal with the issues of incest and domestic violence.  Your study sounds terrific, thanks for including "us" in it.

Andrea